Monday, November 2, 2009

My Acupuncture Adventure

So what started this alternative attitude? Well I was on a cruise ship and I thought I would try something new. I guess I was feeling brave as I didn’t care about the needling aspect of it. So I went for a consultation - and lo and behold - she confirmed that acupuncture aided in fertility! Okay, let us do it! $150 dollars and 45 minutes later – I was surprisingly relaxed and excited! I could get used to this!
The dr. suggested that I come in for more treatments though but at that price, I had to really think hard. In the end, that was my only session in the ship. I even turned down a good sales pitch of this fertility herb pills - Longevity by jou. It was $95 a pop!
Good thing I did, because after a quick research - the going rate was only $75 CDN a session. The herbs here were only going for $10 a pop. Sure, the herbs are not the same but truthfully, I was never a fan of them. I was still breastfeeding so it made the decision easy.
Upon arrival from our vacation - i was quick to research an acupuncture place that would be able to provide some sort of regiment or program specifically for me. I had decided on one close to my work. It’s led by an acupuncturist who has 20 years experience. He seemed nice enough but the place seemed like a hospital room - there was nothing very spa-like like in the ship. I could hear everything - the groans, the moans, the complaints, the laughter from behind the blue curtains. My acupuncturist - let us call him Dr. W. - was quick and fast - sometimes muttering words that sounded like chants. He put needles all over when I was on my back then did the same when I was on my tummy. I felt really relaxed even with all the background noise.
I got home and I felt some cramping on my left side. I guess, it was okay as I thought my period was causing the pulling sensation. When I was sitting in front of the computer, I noticed an area of my shirt was a little lifted.
I looked underneath and lo and behold, there was still a needle stuck in me! I quickly pulled it out and I immediately went into panic mode. What if it went very far in when I was on my tummy and punctured some organs? What if a piece of it had broken off and was on its way to my pierce my heart – or ovaries?
I called Dr. W the next day and he tried to reassure me. He said that sometimes needles are left in for as long as a few days and that the needles on my tummy were put in an angle. He also added that in order to touch any organs, he would have had to use a 3 inch needle – not the 2 inch ones that I had. Regardless, I was not impressed with this experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment